Episode 5: Intentional Greatness In Feminism and Literature, with Renee Powers
Renee Powers is the founder of the Feminist Book Club, a monthly subscription box service that offers feminist literature and various self-care products for women + and queer-owned small businesses. Renee is also the host of Feminist Book Club: The Podcast, a weekly podcast series where she has fascinating conversations with authors of feminism, writers, and readers. Renee obtained a B.A. in Women’s Studies from Saint Mary’s College and an M.A. in Communication from Northern Illinois University. In the six-year process of pursuing her Ph.D., Renee realized that she was unhappy and that her life was out of balance, and so she left her studies and began to follow her passion by founding the Feminist Book Club.
What You Will Learn:
- Renee shares details of how the Feminist Book Club works, including the community-driven voting on what books will appear in future boxes. Renee discusses the powerful community that has sprung up around the Book Club.
- Renee describes why she struggled during her pursuit of her Ph.D. and explains why she decided to become a proud “PhDropout”. She details the origins of her first podcast for the purpose of exploring her interest in interviewing fascinating women.
- Renee shares her difficulty processing the extreme stress she was under and the physical harm that stress was doing to her. Renee talks about the importance of therapy to help her get through her challenges.
- Renee talks about the community that has developed around the Feminist Book Club, and the important space that has been created to allow its members to discuss anything and everything in a safe, welcoming environment.
- Renee explains her feelings toward gender, sex, and desire. She explains the powerful influence of Judith Butler’s book, Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity.
- Renee discusses why her marriage to her partner is the thing she is most proud of, and she shares why she and her partner chose to move to Minnesota and completely shake up their lives.
- Renee shares why she believes it is so crucial for women to begin talking to each other about money, and she explains why women traditionally have had a strange relationship with conversations about finances.
- Renee talks about her work on The Feminist Book Club: The Podcast and some of the guests she has been able to speak with. She explains the benefits she gets from interviewing her guests.